Thursday, April 09, 2020

Westhumble and Ranmore ride

Quiet route
Boxhill beyond Denbies
When passing the remains of Westhumble Chapel Vic has often recommended riding up the adjacent bridleway to Ranmore. I decided to check it out today - it is wonderful (Brian take note).
Westhumble Chapel remains
There is only a short stretch of off-road but that is quite OK. The views and bluebells were very photogenic, there were very few walkers and no cyclists. You rejoin the road at Denbie's Lodge where you can turn right to descend (hairily) to Westhumble or turn left to Ranmore. I turned left and enjoyed the 1.4 mile freewheel from Ranmore to my front door.

Denbies bluebells
 Not many miles for me but I did spend some time admiring views and taking photos.

Terry

PS I understand Zigzag road will be closed over Easter weekend.

5 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Thanks Terry. I can see you will have a whole portfolio of trophy-winning photos for next year's competition.

Brian said...

Thanks Terry. I'll take a look. I have walked down the bridleway and forked right to Denbies. I'm surprised its not too steep to ride up. Or am I confusing it with the hairy descent from Denbied Farm?

Simon L said...

Not many group photos though, unfortunately! I am enjoying your ride virtually, Terry!

Mark G said...

Lovely pictures, Terry. Very pleasing to see old haunts.

We'll be back!

Terry said...

After passing the ruins the metalled bridleway turns right into Ashleigh Grange. We carry straight on and soon join the route of the Denbies road train. Currently there are two locked gates (for vehicles) but peds and cyclists can use smaller adjacent gates. The route is signposted - it doesn't approach Denbies Farm. A much more pleasant and easier graded approach to Ranmore.