Thursday, April 16, 2020

A Themed Wednesday Ride?

Where shall I go? perhaps into Cobham, then to Leatherhead - I know! I could ride round some of the venues we use for elevenses and lunch! That's an idea!

First port of call The Prince of Wales in West End, Esher. Then onto the Portsmouth Road, over Horseshoe Clump and into the woods, I will go to Cobham the pretty way! Along the track and over the A3. Hmm, that's quiet, but not as quiet as I might have guessed. Out of the woods into Sandy Lane, back into the woods, then down Green lane, then a series of back alleys into Cobham. The Legion is closed, in fact all of our venues were closed - no surprise there.

Downside to Bookham Common, to Fetcham, to Leatherhead, out on the Epsom Road and then the track over the M25 - Essential journeys only, said the sign. Where am I? Get the map out, a walker asked me if I wanted help - I want to get to Ashtead, I said. Just down the road, he said. Past Bike Beans - no! It's not called that now. Missed the Woodman pub, onto Ashtead Common, lot of people about. Coal and Wine Tax Post - well preserved. Crossed the Leatherhead Road by The Star pub. Wow! that's the first time I have ever been able to ride straight across.

Into Prince's Coverts, stopped at Jessop's Well and took a photo. Mr Jessop used to bottle the water from the well and sell it to wealthy Londoners for 6d a bottle. It was supposed to have health giving properties. Crossed the Oxshott to Malden Rushett road - I have never seen it so quiet. Into the woods, another Coal and Wine Tax Post. This one is in even better nick, someone has gone to the trouble of picking out the letters in black.

Under the railway and under - hold on! What's that? It's a large piece of statuary - it's a horses head, upside down in a field. It must be about twenty feet tall and it's standing on its nose! Just alongside the A3. What's it for? I mean - why? https://tinyurl.com/y9yf246o

Into Milbourne Lane, Claygate and through the lodge houses into Claremont. Clive of India bought Claremont and spent £100,000 on it. Princess Charlotte the heir presumptive to the throne died there in childbirth. She was the last of the line, she was George III's granddaughter, if she hadn't died, we wouldn't have the present Queen on the throne now.

Nice avenue of trees leading up to the exit gate onto the Portsmouth Road, through the gate, down the hill into West End and home. The trees were planted in er, the 1880s, 1882 was it? Or 1886? Never mind that now, you've got to remember the four figure code to open the gate.......

21.1 electrically assisted miles

~ Don






3 comments:

Brian said...

Well done Don. Quite a few lovely offroad sections that I've used as traffic free alternative routes to elevenses but as you say they are not now as quiet as you expected ( or as quiet as the roads).

mike morley said...

Well done Don, I never knew about the Horse Head Amazing

RaasayWarden said...

If you look back through the CM blog (April and October 2018 I think), you'll discover there are two horses in Surrey by the same sculptor. The other is close to Thorncombe Street.

At the time further info was available by Googling