Friday, April 10, 2020

Wild Garlic


Maggie had wanted some Wild Garlic to make pesto.  Borough Market would provide, and would post it, too.  But the price was so high, and the delivery time so long, that it didn't seem worth it.

Yesterday, going down one of the little combes on the North Downs, I distinctly smelled Wild Garlic. So I stopped and had a look around and, sure enough, there was a little grove of it.  I put a handful in my jersey pocket, to see if it would meet the approval of the chef.

Indeed it did, but much more was needed, so this morning I was sent off with a box to fill. Time for some some proper foraging.


A very satisfactory harvest, and I look forward to a spaghetti supper one of these days.

Mark

ps:  Old Forager's tip: the wild garlic is nowhere near where the photograph of the bike was taken.

;-)


5 comments:

Ged Lawrenson said...

Picked lots recently in Pembrokeshire - great sweated half-an-half with spinach!

Any other foraging tips?

mike morley said...

I thought that we were not allowed to pick wild flowers?

Mark G said...

It's an onion, Mike. Traditionally eaten in the Spring. Said to have tonic properties.

Happy Easter

mike morley said...

Must get some, I was only being provocative! Actually probably goes well with Nettles and Dandelion leaves which the Italians love to eat instead of lettuce. Nettles are also good to thrash yourself with if you suffer from arthritis in say the ankle like I do. Probably acts as a placebo in fact the arthritis goes away while the sting pain remains. I bit like banging your head against a brick wall which clearly I tend to do as an Onion!

Dave F said...

I have a crop of "wild onion" at the shady bottom of my garden. I have had it growing for 20 odd yrs and only just discovered what it is. Another "Allium" with narrow leaves and white flowers, all edible. It tastes like a cross between spring onion, garlic and leek.
It is pretty in spring but actually quite prolific. If anyone wants some and a trip to Ashtead for these essential supplies just let me know.