Friday, April 03, 2020

Some CTC Badges


I've been tidying up my little collection of CTC Memorabilia, and came upon a couple of items that I thought might interest people.

The first is the white CTC Badge in the picture above.  It is like the standard 1" badge, but of superior quality.  It was made by Thomas Fattorini, of Birmingham, a well-known badge and medal manufacturer.  Fattorini hold a Royal Warrant, which is a partial explanation for the crown on this badge.

These badges were produced in 1910, when HM King George V became the first Royal Patron of the CTC, again in 1936 when HM King George VI became Patron, and possibly again in 1952 when HM Queen Elizabeth II became Patron.  From its condition, I doubt that this is a 1910 badge, though it may be, and the font on these badges changed in the early 1950s, so although it could be a 1952 badge I think that it is most likely to be from 1936.  

Underneath is a second badge, 'South Wales Veterans', which I think is from the same era.  These could be purchased to recognise a particular achievement, and would be worn with your normal CTC badge.  Tri-Vets didn't start until 1959, so I take this badge to be a precursor of Tri-Vets.

I've a couple more of this type of challenge badge:


These are for the classic CTC challenge distances; I have also seen a '200 in 24 hours', but I haven't got one of these.  

Who knows, in 80 years or so someone may be puzzling over our 'Wayfarers 40th' badge, trying to work out how it fitted in to the scheme of things.

I hope so.

Mark




3 comments:

Mark G said...

Brian Bent has pointed out that the crown is a King's crown, not a Queen's, so it's definitely not 1952.

mike morley said...

Well done Brian for pointing that out how clever you are! Mark glad you have posted this, I was beginning to wonder if my fellow wayfarers had all gone down with CD-19, in view of the sparse populating of this blog!

Simon L said...

I've just belatedly noticed the apostrophe in Cyclists' Touring Club. Quite right too. I'll be using it from now on, until I forget. (Jan 2021)