Saturday, April 11, 2020

Noon Update on Zig Zag

Hello all. I decided to follow the ride recommended by Vic and Terry & go via the chapel past West Humble to Ranmore and Denbies As Box Hill is closed I went down via Little Switzerland turning left at Juniper Hall. At the left turn to the Zig Zag there were lots of cyclists debating what to do but no police cars. The time was 11.10am and it occurred to me that the chalk track on RHS entrance would be an ideal way to top of Box Hill, so off I went for a ride past the Stepping Stones and Pilgrim Cycles. I had never been up the metalled road past the Chapel and  although as Terry said "Not Three Bad" (or was it two?) I managed it quite well in the saddle on my Non-e Cube. The blue bells were a delight! I descended on the track not through Denbies but to the A24 and then left back to the base of the Zig. Zag. By this time a lone police car had arrived and was having a massive argument with a guy in a 4 wheel drive Mitsubishi pick-up who complained that closing Box Hill had diverted all the cyclist up Little Switzerland via Headley and what were the police doing about it? When the irate motorist had roared off in disgust I politely asked if I could go up the chalk track! The policeman in sympathy said he could not allow as he had already stopped other doing the same, so I carried on back up little Switzerland. I had noticed on my way out a new sign at top of Pebble Hill "NHS Headley Court"and wondered what was afoot? So I went via the track, not closed via Knower Wood and stopped to admire the masses of blue bells there but they were not yet fully out! I then went to visit Headley Court and it appeared a bit weird! there were many generators running outdoors which made me think that it was being turned into a Mortuary? Anyway having got home and Googled it appears that the NHS are turning it into an overflow facility (like a Nightingale) to take pressure of the local hospitals.
16 Hilly miles for me to complete my weeks total of 39 miles.

No comments: